Thursday, October 25, 2007

pepperminty basket revisited

Robyn has asked for more instructions on how to make the "pepperminty" basket out of plastic bags, seen in an earlier post. I didn't follow a pattern for the basket, I just winged it. I chained about 8 stitches, then made single crochets into each chain stitch to the end, then 2-3 stitches to go around the corner and single crochet down the other side. Then 2-3 stitches on the other end to round the corner. Then I went around and around to make a flat oval bottom, adding extra single crochets on the curves to help keep it flat. When I was happy with the size of the bottom, I started building up the sides. The way you do that is to stitch into the top part of each stitch in the outer row, then keep adding rows. I hope that makes sense - obviously, writing crochet instructions is not my area of expertise.

I think I saw someone make a little basket out of jute on "Uncommon Threads," to get the basic construction idea.

No comments: