Saturday, May 30, 2009

clothing bug and hummingbirds
















I've been bit by the home-sewn clothing bug, at least a little. I was pretty excited about it all until I wore my homemade blouse today, and the sushi chef asked me if I was trying to save money by sewing my own clothing. (sigh) Some people just don't get it, I guess, that some people sew because it's FUN, not because we're cheap. I made the blouse from a super-simple pattern, but I cut it out from a quilt top I'd bought a while back (simple squares of fabric), so it looks more complicated than it really is. I attached a bead with tied silk ribbon at each square's corner - hard to see in the photos. Anyway, it was fun, and now I have something else to wear to meetings with artsy craftsy people.
The other exciting news is that we've discovered a hummingbird's nest in our atrium, right by the window! It's perched delicately on a branch of Heavenly Bamboo, and is smaller than my fist. And I have a small fist. I think the cats knew about it way before we did. So we've been watching the parent birds coming and going, but today we definitely saw babies for the first time! I believe there are two. One of them is in the bottom photo - notice that his beak is still short. It will gradually grow out.
The colors of the bird and nest look different from one photo from the next, I think because I used a flash in one but not the others.

No comments: