Sunday, June 14, 2009

rayna gillman workshop

I took a 2-day workshop with Rayna Gillman at Fullerton College this weekend, organized by Carol Henke. I loved it, it was amazing. Although I am familiar with screenprinting and procion dyeing, her method of deconstructed screenprinting with thickened dyes was new to me. I learned so much, and I am eager to do more on my own. I came home with a ton of cool fabric, which I still need to rinse out. Rayna was such a great teacher, and the students came up with such beautiful stuff!

I promise to post photos tomorrow, but tonight I'm pooped.

On the hummingbird front, there have been some sightings in the atrium of both babies and mama bird. I've seen the babies both alone and together sitting in the palm tree, perched upon the stems of the palm fronds. I've seen the mother feeding one of the babies. They have abandoned the nest, and there is evidence of the feathers being removed from the inner lining. I can't imagine the mother would be building the babies a new nest at this point, so I really don't understand what that is about.

2 comments:

Rayna said...

Cindy - love the work you did and am looking forward to the posts of your pieces! It was a great class and you helped make it a delight for me. Thanks!
R.

Stacy Hurt said...

Hi Cindy,
Can't wait to see your work from the class.

On the hummer front; often birds will raise second broods if the season is long enough (as it is here in Ca.) She may be getting ready to nest again with new eggs.