Saturday, April 14, 2012

Magic Box of Letters

I tried to visit Carol McDaniel every month in her last years, because she was not driving and didn't get out much. I always brought a tote bag full of projects that I was working on - quilts, knitting, items I was making for my granddaughter, etc. One of the last times I visited her, she told me there was something she wanted me to have.

It was a large box of letters and numbers for stamping, complete except for the number 2.

This is what it looks like on the outside. It says "Fern" on the outside, who knows why. Carol got it many years ago; she lived in Laguna Woods, formerly known as Leisure World, where elderly people live. There are lots of yard sales there after people pass on. It has been well used.


Now, months later, I have been using the letters for the first time. They are 1" high, wonderful. I'm putting words around the "Ocean" baby quilt.

A word in progress. I'm no good at calligraphy (being left-handed is a challenge for calligraphers), but I have used rubber-stamped letters in some of my quilts. These letters are the largest and grandest that I have, and I am grateful that Carol thought of me to have them. I will never forget her.

1 comment:

Jamie Fingal said...

What a wonderful and generous gift from a good friend. She will live on in your work, every time you use the letters and numbers. No doubt that whatever you use them for, will be a work of art.