Saturday, August 30, 2008

Artful trip to Chicago






Here are three art-related photos from our recent trip to Chicago. The first one shows me on Michigan Avenue, on the "Magnificent Mile." There were all these dress forms embellished by various artists, usually with recycled materials. I thought this was a pretty funny one. There are straws, plastic utensils, potato chip wrappings, and a plastic tablecloth.






The next photo shows what I am calling "furtive crochet" - maybe there's a better name for it. Someone crocheted the pole of a street sign in front of the Art Institute of Chicago! It's kind of like a harmless graffiti done by a sneaky crafter. I loved it!



The Art Institute was great, but many of the contemporary exhibits are currently closed for remodeling. Bummer.



But we went to the Museum of Contemporary Art on another day, which made up for the disappointing Art Institute visit. Jeff Koons are was on display - very colorful and fun, except that some of it got offensive. While looking at some of the other art, my husband would say "I could do that." But he hasn't! If he did, he'd be famous. I guess I enjoyed the museum more than he did. But I took a photo of him watching the one thing he liked at the museum, a video of one thing leading to another, like balloons rolling down a board and breaking, causing a fire, making something else tip over, etc. It was pretty fascinating, I have to admit.








3 comments:

Karoda said...

the arts and craft musuem here is sponsporing a knit/crochet/quilt covering art show for the lamp polls on Main Street. I believe it goes live in mid-september.

Cindy Cooksey said...

Sounds like fun! What town are you in?

Stacy Hurt said...

Cindy the dress form is a riot! Glad you had fun & got to see the crochet'd poles!!! That is so cool!

I like the pic of your husband looking at the video too! It's very artistic with his hat and everything! Wonderful!