Sunday, September 7, 2008

mixed media pages






I've gotten way behind in showing the mixed media pages I've done for the round robin exchange we've been doing in Cut-Loose Quilters. So tonight I'm playing catch-up.




The first photo shows the pages I did for Julie. The theme was travel - I had a hard time deciding what to do, and in the end made my pages about bicycling. I made a rubber stamp for the bicycle frame, and added the wheels afterward. Can you guess? The wheels are simply stamped from the end of a plastic spool of thread that had "spokes" in the inner core. The photos are from my bicycling days long ago. I'm riding across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco in the first one, and in the second I'm miserable during a downpour. This was taken up near King City, California, on a bicycling trip we took from San Francisco to Santa Ana - about 550 miles! - in 1973.



I did the red pages with the hearts for Joanell's mixed media book. Her theme was "Shapes and Colors," simple enough. I fretted that hearts were too obvious (I did them in February), but I think they turned out okay. I did a lot of different techniques here, including a polymer clay heart on the second heart. The heart on the upper right is made from red plastic webbing I got from some fruit product. I wish I could remember what kind - perhaps mandarin oranges?


The pages at the right are the ones I did for Annie. It's probably too hard to read, but on the top it says, "It's fun to be a gypsy girl on Halloween!" The theme of Annie's book was "Gypsy in my Soul." I was a gypsy a couple of times on Halloween as a girl, so that's what inspired me to make these pages. In real life my costume was cobbled together with things I had on hand, such as the red cape I wore as Little Red Riding Hood the previous year, and my mom's hoop earrings. I made an actual doll and embedded her into the pages. Her costume was also cobbled together with whatever I had on hand. It was really fun - I would like to make another gypsy girl doll for myself. I made her tiny "trick or treat" sack, too.

No comments: