Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day


It's Mother's Day and I'm remembering my mom with gratitude. She taught me to read and to sew, two things I still love to do. Here are some other things she taught me:


Art matters.

Smile.

Stand up straight.

It's okay to think for yourself.

Eat chocolate.


Mom never wanted us to make a fuss on Mother's Day, because Dad's birthday fell on or around the same date. So of course I think with fondness about Dad today, too. The most important thing he taught me was to try to find humor in things. Another one was to always have dessert. He had an eye for things that were unusual or whimsical (Dutch doors, ventilated sunglasses), and he was a terrific role model.


I try to take their teachings to heart (although I could be better at standing up straight ;-)) and I am grateful to my parents.



No comments: