Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hummers, Tortoise and Quilts





















These photos were taken Tuesday, Wednesday and today, Thursday. They seem much more alert than before. So jaunty! It's as if they're saying, Mommy, teach me to fly right now! I can see their little hearts pounding away.


I should mention that their nest is visible to our living room, which is the center of our house. The mom couldn't have picked a more public place to raise her babies! The cats and we are enjoying the show and dreading empty nest.


I've been reading up on them. It takes 3 weeks from when they hatch until they fly. Since I don't know when they hatched, I can only guess they will fly in the next few days. When they have learned to fly, they're called fledglings. Their eggs are the size of Tic-tacs. Oh - and hummingbirds don't walk! When they want to move somewhere else, they always fly.


Here's something non-hummingbird. My tortoise Grampa T attacking his ear of corn.


Here's something else non-hummingbird. I turned in my Edges quilt to be hung at Long Beach Quilt Festival. It's five weeks away! I can't wait.
I am working on my "Sweet Dreamy Dreams" quilt and it's been challenging. The sides refuse to be symmetrical, so I'm finally deciding to embrace the asymmetry. Hopefully, I can begin embroidery soon. I wish I could show it here, but I would like to enter it in something, so I can't yet.

No comments: