Monday, June 8, 2009

Watch the birdies!




































Please indulge me with some more hummingbird photos. They'll only be here a short time, and it's a magical experience watching them grow. They are getting so big that they now lie across the top of the tiny nest, next to each other, sometimes head to head. Other times head to tail. Sometimes they lie on their stomaches, and sometimes they lie on their backs! Their eyes have opened and their beaks are getting longer. Dave swears that they're getting bigger than their mother! That may be a slight exaggeration ;-).




































Just in the past day or so they seem darker to me and less downy. More like their mom: she is a dark brownish gray with irridescent green on her belly. I looked at photos of several kinds of hummingbirds, but I couldn't find any that look like her. Can anyone tell me what kind of hummingbirds they are???






























Another thing they've been doing is fluttering their wings. I look for signs of the camera-shy mother teaching them to fly. Am I imagining that she is standing further back from the nest to feed them, making them reach outside the nest?




















This is my favorite photo. Aren't they cute?









One more observation is that the window in front of the nest is getting so dirty! Enough said? I snuck out once to clean part of the window, so I could still take photos. The babies seemed as if they were in a trance and didn't notice me. They do not fear me like their nervous mother.

No comments: