Friday, March 9, 2012

Kumquat Madness

I've been on a jam-making kick this week. Sunday I made Kumquat Jam.
First I picked 50 kumquats from our trees.


You need a bunch of things to make jam: jars, lids, rings, pectin, sugar, just for starters.

I had to wash and slice them all, removing all seeds.

I put them in a large pot with a cup of water and 6 1/2 cups of sugar, stirring it up. Then I added a package of pectin. I brought it to a robust boil and let it cook for 10 minutes.


Then I ladled the jam into jars and added lids and rings. I then placed them all in the largest pot I had, full of hot water and cooked for 10 more minutes. Afterwards I removed them, let them cool, making sure they were sealed. They say it could take two weeks to fully set (so far it's kind of syrupy).

If you want to try this, get the recipe from http://www.kumquatgrowers.com/ and read the directions on the pectin box.




No comments: